12 Jan 2016

Permanent Australian Business Visas

Are you planning on opening or taking your business to Australia? The first thing you need to do is to acquire the right visa. There are three permanent Australian business visas that you can choose from that will enable you to live and work in Australia.

Business Owner visa (subclass 890)

With this permanent residence visa, you can stay in Australia indefinitely and travel in and out of the country as much as you like for 5 years. When eligible, you can also apply for Australian citizenship, enrol in Medicare, and sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residency.

Before you apply
• You must have a valid passport or other travel documents
• You must notify the Business Development Agency in the state or territory where you want to continue your main business.
• Complete Form 927State/Territory notification: Business Skills class notification form, and send it to the appropriate authority within the state or territory.

Eligibility requirements
• You hold one of the provisional visas, such as Business Owner (Provisional) visa (subclass 160), State/Territory Sponsored Business Owner (Provisional) visa (subclass 163) or State/Territory Sponsored Investor (Provisional) visa (subclass 165).
• You have lived in Australia for at least 12 months in the past two years using one of the provisional visas.
• You and your family members meet character and health requirements
• You are genuinely committed to maintain business or investment activities in the country.

To apply
• You must be in Australia to lodge an application
• You must prepare required documents
• Lodge your application by post or in person at the Adelaide office in South Australia, addressed to Adelaide Business Skills Processing Centre.
• Pay the visa application by credit card or debit card. When using cheque or money order pay to the Department of Immigration and Border Protection.

Business Talent (Permanent) visa (subclass 132)

This visa will allow you to establish a new business in Australia, or develop an existing one. It has two streams: Significant Business History and Venture Capital Entrepreneur. The former is for high-calibre business owners or part-owners, while the latter is for those who sourced venture capital funding from any of the members of Australian Venture Capital Association Limited.

Before you apply
• Submit an Expression of Interest (EOI), specifying which stream you want to apply under and whether your business interests are specific to one or more states and territories.
• You must be invited through SkillSelect to apply for a visa before you can lodge an application.
• You must complete the required documents, which will vary depending on the stream you choose.
• You can be in or outside Australia when you lodge your application.

State/Territory Sponsored Business Owner visa (subclass 892)

This is a permanent residence visa that will allow you to stay in Australia for five years. You must complete the Form 949 – State/Territory sponsorship: Business Skills class sponsorship form before you apply. You must hold a provisional visa to be eligible.

Most of the conditions you must satisfy with this visa are similar to Business Owner (subclass 890) visa requirements.

Sheila Woods

Posted by: Sheila Woods

A very experienced migration agent, Sheila has always been fascinated by this field. Her university degree thesis was on Australia’s post-war immigration history (and it earned her first-class honours).

Filed in: Visas


Comments are closed.


Follow us