27 Jan 2016

Skilled Independent Visa (Subclass 189)

The Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189) is for points-tested skilled workers who want to work and live permanently in Australia, but are not sponsored by any family member or employer, or nominated by a State or Territory Government. Part of the qualification is to meet the score specified based on the factors in the points test for skilled migration.

Who is it for?

The Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189) is for people who have been invited to apply and have met the following qualifications upon the time of invitation:
• Nominated for an occupation that is on the list of relevant skilled occupation
• Obtained an occupation-specific suitable skills assessment, which is one of the requirements of the Points Tested Skilled Migration visa
• Not yet turned 50 years of age
• Competent English
• Achieved the score specified in the letter of invitation based on the points test factors

What are the requirements?

Apart from the specified qualifications listed above, applicants should also meet:
• Health requirements
• Character requirements
• No debts to the Australian Government
• Biometrics
• Completion of the Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189) document checklist

What is a successful applicant entitled to?

When granted with this permanent residence visa, entitlements include:
• Indefinite stay in Australia
• Potential application for Australian citizenship
• Work and study in Australia
• Sponsor relatives for permanent residency, if they are eligible
• Enrolment in Australia’s health-related care and expenses scheme or Medicare
• Travel to and from Australia within five years from the date the visa is granted

How much does it cost?

Fees and charges for the Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189) vary from time to time. It depends on the date that an application is lodged. Refer to the current visa pricing table for reference. Surcharge fees will also apply when paying a visa application by debit or credit card online.

A second instalment charge will apply for each family member included in the application who is 18 years of age or older, or with less than functional English. Proof of functional English includes a valid passport from the United Kingdom, the United States of America, Canada, New Zealand, or the Republic of Ireland. Family members can also provide a successful International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test result or Foreign Language internet-based Test (TOEFL iBT) test result. Additional fees may be required for policies certificates, health assessments and other tests and certificates required.

Sheila Woods

Posted by: Sheila Woods

A very experienced migration agent, Sheila has always been fascinated by this field. Her university degree thesis was on Australia’s post-war immigration history (and it earned her first-class honours).

Filed in: Visas


Comments are closed.


Follow us