3 Apr 2020

Visa extensions to stay in Australia

With COVID-19 travel bans taking place across the world, unfortunately many people are in a situation where they cannot safely return to their home country before their visa expires.

However, in Australia Temporary Visa holders must ensure they continue to hold a valid visa to remain lawful. Over the past few weeks, we have helped many Temporary Visa holders who are seeking visa extension options to stay in Australia.

If you are currently in Australia with a Temporary Visa and worried about your visa expiring, here’s what you need to know about your options to stay in Australia and apply for a new visa.

What if my visa is expiring?

If your visa is due to expire soon, it is common to think you may need a visa extension. However, in Australia the process of extending your stay involves applying for a new visa.

In many cases, a person can apply for a Visitor Visa to stay a few extra months in Australia. Visitor Visas can generally allow you to stay in Australia for 3, 6 or 12 months.

It’s important to know other options may be available to you depending on whether you are eligible for a family, partner, student or work visa.

After you apply for a new visa, you will often be granted a Bridging Visa. This allows you to lawfully stay in Australia while the Government assesses your application for the new visa.

What if my visa has a ‘No Further Stay’ Condition (8503, 8534 or 8535)?

In usual circumstances, a person would have limited options to stay in Australia if their visa grant notice has a ‘No Further Stay’ Condition (8503, 8534 or 8535).

However, at the moment the Government is accepting applications for waivers of this condition to assist people that have been impacted by the immediate travel bans.

While this is the case, it is still important to check if you have a ‘No Further Stay’ Condition on your visa because the Department of Home Affairs will require you to first request a waiver for the condition before applying for a new visa.

Visa Extensions Perth

If your visa will be expiring in the next few months, you may wish to consider visa extension options to apply for a new visa so that you can stay in Australia.

Your available visa options will depend on whether you meet the eligibility criteria for Australia’s various visa types, so it can help to seek professional advice if you are unsure.

Immigracious’ Registered Migration Agents can help you understand which visa options may be available to you to stay in Australia.

Simply get in touch with one of our migration agents at or
+61 8 6263 4406 to arrange a Skype or telephone consultation.

Sheila Woods

Posted by: Sheila Woods

A very experienced migration agent, Sheila has always been fascinated by this field. Her university degree thesis was on Australia’s post-war immigration history (and it earned her first-class honours).

Filed in: Uncategorized


Comments are closed.


Follow us