17 Aug 2015

How To Apply For A Skilled Independent Visa

Skilled Independent Visa (subclass 189)

Want to live and work in Australia permanently? If you’ve got the skills the country needs, you could apply for a Skilled Independent Visa (subclass 189). A permanent visa, it allows you to enjoy a new life Down Under as a skilled worker, without the need of employer sponsorship or state nomination.

A points-tested visa, you can apply for this visa if you:

• Obtained a positive skills assessment from the relevant examining body
• Lodged an Expression of Interest (EOI) through SkillSelect
• Have been invited to apply through SkillSelect based on your EOI
• Nominated an occupation that appears on the Skilled Occupation List
• Achieved the relevant score needed in your points test
• Are younger than 50 years of age
• Can speak at least competent English

Your invitation to apply is based on the claims made in your EOI, so you will need to provide evidence to support your application, including the skills assessment, any references and certificates (if applicable).

To see if your skills are needed, check out the Skilled Occupation List here

If you are granted the Skilled Independent Visa (subclass 189), you are able to:
• Stay in Australia indefinitely
• Work and study in Australia
• Enrol in Medicare, Australia’s healthcare and expenses scheme
• Apply for citizenship
• Sponsor eligible relative for permanent residency
• Travel to and from Australia for five years

You can apply for the Skilled Independent Visa (subclass 189) to live and work in Perth, Western Australia, permanently. For help getting your visa, contact us at

Sheila Woods

Posted by: Sheila Woods

A very experienced migration agent, Sheila has always been fascinated by this field. Her university degree thesis was on Australia’s post-war immigration history (and it earned her first-class honours).

Filed in: Visas


Comments are closed.


Follow us